was tasked to merged one VSS database to another and the only way to do that is to go to sourcesafe administration as Admin and do the export from there so that I can restore the exported file on another VSS Database. I ask the person who gave me the VSS database to be exported about the admin password and he says that it’s been handed to him by another developer who forgot the admin password. WTF!!!
Good thing there is a tool that can reset the Admin password in VSS. Please see below:
To use it:
- Copy the ResetVSSPassword.exe file in the data folder.
- Back-up the um.dat (just in-case everything screws-up) which contains the password in hex format before running the ResetVSSPassword.exe file.
- Double click on ResetVSSPassword.exe.
- After running the application, it will generate a file called umfix.dat.
- Delete the original um.dat and rename umfix.dat to um.dat
This was tested in VSS 6.0 and VSS 2005.